In 1988 Mari Boine makes a big splash and agrees to compose music for a theatrical performance for the newly founded National Theatre of the Sami People.
There she hooks up with the young free spirited rock guitarist Roger Ludvigsen and together they embark on a long musical journey.
In 1989 Mari Boine releases “Gula Gula” which is the music commissioned for the Sami Theatre. “Gula Gula” – hear the voices of the tribal mothers has an obvious feminist message.
- Hear the Voices of the Foremothers – Gula Gula – Hør stammødrenes stemme
- White Thief – Vilges Suola – Hvite tyv
- When I Win Against Fear – Balu Badjel Go Vuoittán – Når jeg vinner over angsten
- Near You – Du Lahka
- You don’t step on me no more – It Šat Duolmma Mu
- To Woman – Eadnán Bákti – Klippen – til kvinnen
- Recipe for a Master Race – Oppskrift For Herrefolk
- To You – Duinne – Til deg
Bonus tracks on the 2003 remastered reissue: